Considering a breast augmentation? We can help!
Dr. Parikh and his knowledgeable staff will listen to your concerns, and discuss the types of breast augmentation surgery he performs, options for anesthesia, and the anticipated recovery from surgery. We are committed to educating our breast augmentation patients and helping them to make informed choices about breast implant size, type, and shape to get the results they want. A great doctor-patient relationship is the foundation of an excellent surgical result!
Dr. Parikh is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and has been practicing in the Pioneer Valley since 2010. He has trained extensively in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the breast to offer you a broad spectrum of options, and help you get to the results you seek.
Breast Augmentation 101
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure in which silicone or saline implants are placed to enlarge or improve the shape of the breasts. The incision can be placed under the breast (infra-mammary), under the areola (peri-areolar), or in the armpit (trans-axillary). Implants can be placed under the chest muscle (submuscular), under the breast tissue(subglandular) or a combination of both (dual-plane).
Breast augmentation should be a relatively uncomplicated and safe surgery in the hands of an appropriately trained, experienced, and board-certified surgeon. We aim to make the process of breast augmentation as simple, comfortable, and pleasant possible – just ask our patients!
The vast majority of our breast augmentation patients are happy with their decision to undergo surgery. Many of our augmentation patients have shared with us the positive changes in their life after surgery including a refreshed and rejuvenated look, improved self-confidence, and improved balance between breasts that may have been very asymmetrical before surgery.
When you arrive for your breast augmentation consultation, here’s what you can expect:
- You will meet personally with Dr. Parikh, an experienced, board certified-plastic surgeon, as well as his team of medical professionals who will work together to give you the best possible experience.
- Dr. Parikh will discuss your desires and expectations, and then perform an examination to accurately determine your individual measurements, and body type. Based upon this information, he will discuss the recommended procedure, and implant size range.
- You will have an opportunity to “try on” a variety of implants to find the style and size that are the best fit for your body and that will help you achieve your goals.
- You will receive information and materials that help you in the decision making process
- You will see before and after pictures of Dr. Parikh’s real breast augmentation patients’ results to get a sense of Dr. Parikh’s ability, style, and the broad range of procedures he performs.
- If you are a candidate for surgery, you will receive an itemized, written quote detailing complete costs of the breast implant surgeryIf you are not a candidate for surgery, Dr. Parikh will review with you any factors that can be addressed to help you become a candidate.
A few weeks before your scheduled a date of surgery, you will have a another preoperative visit to review the plan, go over any questions that you have, and review the surgical process, the risks of surgery, and your recovery and follow up.
Implants and Sizing
Selecting your new breast size is an important and personal decision. To help you find the best implants to meet your goals, Dr. Parikh and his team will educate you on the relative benefits and limitations of:
- Saline vs. Silicone Implants
- Round vs. Shaped Implants
- Smooth vs. Textured Implants
Next, Dr. Parikh will take your measurements, and consider your body type, lifestyle and surgical goals to find a range of implant options that will fit you best. With these choices in mind, you will have the opportunity to see and feel each type of implant, as well as “try on” a variety of implant sizers to find the look you like best.
Recovery after Breast Augmentation
Typically, a breast augmentation procedure lasts less than one hour, and is performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation. Dr. Parikh will close your incisions with dissolvable sutures, so there are no stitches to remove. Following your procedure, you will need someone to take you home after surgery and to be with you for the first 48 hours of your recovery.
Mild soreness and discomfort are normal after surgery, and should controlled well enough with the prescribed pain medications to allow you to rest. Most patients discontinue prescription pain medications within the first 3 days, and transition to over the counter medications such as ibuprofen(Motrin/Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
You will be able to get up, move about your home, and perform most light daily activities for the first week after surgery. You should delay returning to more significant physical activity such as exercise, lifting, and sports until you have been cleared by Dr. Parikh and his team at your follow-up visit. If you care for young children, we suggest planning ahead to have extra help from family and friends, so that you can rest and recover more fully in the first week after surgery.
Most patients can return to their jobs within a week unless their job requires lifting or aerobic activity.